Wednesday, August 20, 2008

10 things to do before I leave the country

1. Retrieve all post-its from various hiding places in and around my desk and place in a plastic bag for safe transportation abroad.
2. Go through college notes. Try to determine which I might need in London. Scan as many as possible to PDFs and store on my laptop.
3. Indulge myself by reading as many novels as possible while I still have an excuse not to read academic material.
4. Sort through my bookshelf and decide which of my hundreds of tomes I simply cannot live without. Attempt to determine whether it’s most cost efficient to put in checked luggage, stuff into my carry-on, or buy an extra copy in London.
5. Ditto for kitchen utensils. Find out if potential flatmates own a set of dishes. Can plates fit nicely in suitcases?
6. Move credit cards from wallet to passport holder and back again. Try to use up American change. Weigh merits of large purse as one of two carry-on bags vs. small purse inside second carry-on bag.
7. Try to anticipate which items of clothing are better purchased in London and which I should find (for cheaper) in the States: specifically, brown skirt, brown heels, scarves.
8. Purchase large supply of Blistex, which I know I cannot live without. England might be the perfect place to live if they sold Blistex. Also purchase Muppets DVDs for moments when I need some American-style humor.
9. Practice methods of folding clothes so as to maximize suitcase space. Discover a method of fitting the most towels possible into spacesaver bags.
10. Find a flatmate. Try not to worry about the fact that I have no flatmate yet.

0 comments: