Tuesday, November 18, 2008

Trip to Oxford with some fellow Shakespeareans

On Saturday, some girls in my Shakespeare course convinced me to travel to Oxford with them for the day. Even though more than one of us was worried about finishing essays on time for this week, I think we enjoyed ourselves...

We ate lunch at a pie restaurant in a covered market in Oxford. I think it will be my goal for the rest of my time here to learn how to make these: in case you can't tell in the picture, that's mashed potatoes with a meat pie on top (mine was cider pork and apple, yum) and minted smashed peas on top of the pie, all drenched in gravy. True British fare. From left to right: Jen, Ashley, Amanda.

This is the largest room in Blackwell, supposed to be the largest bookstore anywhere. Three miles of bookshelves. Three miles! I bought a Shakespeare magazine.

Somewhere near the Bodleian library, Oxford University's famous and ancient copyright library.


A close-up of one of the heads.

The Divinity School, where our tour of the Bodleian started. We weren't allowed to take pictures in the rest, which was a shame.

The outside of the old part of the Bodleian.

St. Mary's church, just opposite the Bodleian.

Me outside the Eagle and Child pub, where the Inklings (including C. S. Lewis and J. R. R. Tolkien) used to meet every Tuesday morning for over twenty years (from 1939-62) to drink beer and read and discuss the books each were currently writing. They referred to the pub as the Bird and Baby.

The 'Rabbit Room' inside where the Inklings would sit every week. You can see a picture of Lewis on the far right.

Me and Jen in the Rabbit Room with our mulled cider. Worth going back to Oxford for.

1 comments:

Eric B said...

It looks like you are slowing down a little bit with your blogging. I encourage you to keep it up, it will be worth it! Plus, I enjoy reading your posts about your latest adventures every once in a while. Even though I normally have to catch up by reading 2 or 3 posts!

It will be cool to be able to look back in a few years at the documentation from your time abroad!

Also, it might be something that you could use as a "portfolio" of your writing.

Unfortunately, Anadarko did not offer me an internship position for this summer. I will keep in contact with everyone that I have met from Anadarko during the fall recruiting. I have accepted an internship offer from Sandridge Energy in Oklahoma City. It will be a great learning experience!

Well, its about time that I go back to the library (it is exam time again!).